Sunday, August 19, 2012

Bigger Motorcycle

After riding my Rebel for over 3 months and 2000+ miles I decided that I wanted a bigger motorcycle. The Rebel is a GREAT motorcycle! Being such a light weight motorcycle probably saved my butt a few times while I was getting comfortable learning to ride. It can handle freeway speeds and I got about 75 mpg. But being a 250cc class bike (the engine is actually 234cc) it definitely lacks in the acceleration department. And being as small as it is (331 lbs. wet) the ride can be pretty harsh at times. I actually seriously started considering a bigger bike several weeks ago. So I decided to bite the bullet and "move up." I sold the Rebel and bought a used Honda Shadow Aero. It's a 2004 and had about 22,000 miles on it. The engine is a 750cc class (745cc actual) and it weighs 519 lbs. dry. It can easily out accelerate most cars which comes in handy when trying to get away from trouble. And the much heavier weight translates into a much smoother and more comfortable ride. Another advantage is that Karen and I can comfortably ride "2 up" on it. Yesterday we did that and rode out to Gold Canyon on the freeway. We cruised comfortably at 65 mph. I've had the Shadow for about 1 1/2 weeks now and so far I LOVE this bike!


2004 Honda Shadow Aero Specifications

9/2/2003 10:09:18 PM

ModelVT750
Engine Type745cc liquid-cooled 52 V-twin
Bore and Stroke79mm x 76mm
Compression Ratio9.6:1
Valve TrainSOHC; three valves per cylinder
CarburetionSingle 34mm CV type
IgnitionCD with electronic advance, two spark plugs per cylinder
TransmissionWide-ratio five-speed
Final DriveShaft
SuspensionFront: 41mm fork; 4.6 inches travel
Rear: Dual shocks with five-position spring preload adjustability; 3.5 inches travel
BrakesFront: Single 296mm disc with twin-piston caliper
Rear: 180mm Drum
TiresFront: 120/90-17
Rear: 160/80-15
Wheelbase64.5 inches
Seat Height25.9 inches
Dry Weight519.4 pounds
Fuel Capacity3.7 gallons, including 0.9-gallon reserve
ColorsBlack/Metallic Silver
Black/Candy Dark Red
Black/Pearl Blue
Candy Dark Red
Black
California version differs slightly due to emissions equipment.


No comments:

Post a Comment