Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Cool HDR Photo

My iPhone has an HDR (High Definition Range) photo setting. I keep this turned on so I get 2 photos every time I take a picture, a regular exposure and an HDR exposure. The HDR is actually a compilation of 3 differently exposed photos which tends to give better results in certain cases. Anyway, yesterday I was at Tempe Town Lake riding my Brompton folding bike. I stopped at a picnic table to read for a while and saw a skateboarder coming. I took a picture and was surprised by the HDR results. The skateboarder was moving too fast for the iPhone's camera to take the same exact photo 3 times. Here are the interesting results:

Regular photo

HDR photo

2 comments:

  1. OK, just in case other people might also be a bit confused, I'll put it here so we can all get the benefit of your explanation.
    The iPhone couldn't take the same picture 3 times? Why would it need to?
    Why would you want the HDR one with three images? To show movement or something? I suppose I could Google HDR, but that's the easy way out.

    Pete "the confused one"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Basically HDR photography is a technique to overcome shortcomings of cameras. The human eye is very good at seeing contrast and white balance. Cameras not so much. That's why you get over/under exposed pictures where one part of the photo is good and other parts are not exposed correctly. HDR handles this by taking 3 pictures at different exposures. By combining the 3 and using some magic software you end up with a much more vivid picture. "Real" cameras can handle a moving object. As we see in this picture the iPhone camera software isn't quite as smart in this regard.

    ReplyDelete