Saturday, September 17, 2011

Today On Silly Mountain

We went hiking at Silly Mountain this morning. Karen headed back after our climb up the Palo Verde Trail and I continued on. After reaching the saddle below the summit I headed down and had a couple of interesting things happen. The first was coming across a guy on horseback coming up a pretty steep section of the trail! I was amazed that the horse could make it up the trail with a rider on its back. We exchanged greetings and I continued down the trail. The next interesting thing was meeting up with a park ranger headed up the trail. He was the law enforcement kind of park ranger, not the "Ranger B" kind. We chatted for a few seconds while he caught his breath. He told me he was on his way to the summit because people had called in reporting someone signaling up there. When I got back to the car I look through the binoculars and saw a young guy with a large (maybe 2' X 2') sheet of some material flashing it towards Phoenix. There were quite a few people up there and I'm sure it was innocent. Maybe it was a group of scouts practicing signals with a group on some other peak. Who knows. But it was something you don't see every day.

1 comment:

  1. Maybe thats why they call it Silly Mountain!

    Maybe the signaling was like when people flash their headlights to warn you of a radar trap ahead. Can't say what they'd be warning people about high on the mountain though. Gotta think on that one.

    Did you remember Morse code so you coud decode it?

    Pete

    ReplyDelete